Today, #450UA on
KONTAKT UKRAINIAN TELEVISION
featured host ANDRIJ HOLOVATYJ
with excerpts from the inaugural installment of
- an opportunity to learn about
Ukraine's Verkhovna Rada parliament.
Also, check out the Kontakt TV preview segment ...
[ The Kontakt TV link will be available soon and posted here. ]
WELCOME to #450UA ... pronounced HASHTAG-FOUR-FIFTY-U-A ... a new & unique approach to broadcasting - available as a special segment on KONTAKT Ukrainian Television and a new online media project - right here at 450ua.blogspot.ca ... for an overview of this project, watch the backgrounder segment on Kontakt TV by clicking here ...
… also, please read the backgrounder transcript here …
THIS WEEK …
Class is in session - welcome to VR7 101! Find out about how to navigate the Kyiv Post website in order to find up-to-date English-language news and information about the current assembly of elected members - known as People's Deputies - in Ukraine's legislature, this being the 7th convocation of the Verkhovna Rada.
Verkhovna Rada … or … the Verkhovna Rada (the article in front of the name is optional, put permissible) can be translated to mean the Supreme Council. It is the highest legislative body in Ukraine, similar to the House of Commons in Canada as well as the House of Representatives in the United States. There are many similarities and differences between the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine and other legislatures around the world which operate as a democratic assembly.
Using the Kyiv Post website and its chronological listing of published material …
… a simple strategy can be devised in order to peruse the list of material and find headlines that point to content relating to the Verkhovna Rada. Articles can be shared on Twitter using #450UA. Notes can be made to create a personal list of words and phrases from Ukraine's parliamentary lingo and jargon, which can be used as a glossary and index for future study to better acquaint oneself with the key people, procedures and activities of Ukraine's lawmaking assembly - the Verkhovna Rada. Currently, this is the 7th convocation of the Verkhovna Rada since Ukraine's independence in 1991.
Na vse dobre = All the best,
(aka Andy Holowaty)
P.S.: Here is a list of people, terms, phrases and concepts for further study. This list was compiled in order of appearance in the Kyiv Post website articles, referenced during today's installment of VR7 101 …
- Verkhovna Rada
- Batkivschyna Party leader Arseniy Yatseniuk
- Higher Administrative Court
- vulytsia Bankova (Bank Street)
- vulytsia Hrushevskoho (Hrushevskyj Street)
- President Viktor Yanukovych
- Prime Minister (or Premier) Mykola Azarov
- confidence in government
- Party of Regions
- Ukraine's European integration
- Party of Regions faction leader Oleksandr Yefremov
- political parties and parliamentary factions
- Svoboda Party leader Oleh Tiahnybok
- UDAR Party leader Vitali Klitschko
- President Yanukovych's address to parliament
- referendum to impeach the president
- blocking parliament
- Arise, Ukraine! (or Rise Up, Ukraine!)
- Speaker Volodymyr Rybak
- Communist Party leader Petro Symonenko
- Kyiv city mayor and Kyiv city councillor elections
- number of People’s Deputies (PD) in the Verkhovna = 450 (as elected members of parliament; only 445 are currently registered)
- number of votes necessary for a simple motion to pass = 226 (one-half plus one); items in the agenda which are related to ratification by a constitutional majority require 301 votes (two-thirds plus one) to pass
- Ukraine’s obligations to Council of Europe
- attempts by the majority to deprive opposition lawmakers of their parliamentary mandates
- conflict of interest: PDs working for outside interests, not related to parliamentary work;
- possible of unification of Yatseniuk’s Front for Change Party and Tymoshenko’s Batkivschyna Party
- 174 parliamentarians signed a draft resolution expressing no confidence in PM Azarov’s government
- leaders and deputy leaders - of factions and parties
- the President signed a number of laws passed at parliament's April 4th offsite meeting